Who Are We?
At Stangel Functional Neurology, our goals go beyond helping you feel better; we strive to solve your health care problems without extending your treatment longer than necessary. In addition, we ensure our patients have the education and information they’ll need to continue to improve and maintain their health long after their conditions have been resolved. Dr. Stangel has a passion to utilize his training and experience in helping patients who have failed to find answers to their health issues elsewhere.
Health problems with a neurological component can require intervention, and Dr. Stangel utilizes Functional Neurology paradigm in evaluating and treating patients. Functional Neurologists look at how the human nervous system works, not only as individual parts, but as a complete functioning system. Most body functions are governed by the nervous system, and a fully-functioning system is required in nearly every aspect of our health.
Dr. Tomas E. Stangel is a Board Certified Chiropractic Neurologist. He was born in Stuttgart, Germany during his father’s service in the Red Cross, he was raised in Michigan and Wisconsin. He is an avid sports fan, animal lover, and guitarist. Dr. Stangel has practiced in Chattanooga, TN since 1998 and opened Stangel Functional Neurology, PLLC with his wife Erin in 2010. He receives no less than 200 hours of continuing education each year.
- 1991 — Graduated from Palmer College of Chiropractic in Davenport, IA
- 2001 — Pursued post-graduate studies in Neurology at Carrick Institute for Graduate Studies*
- 2005 — Pass the examination for Diplomate status with the ACNB
- 2009 — Gained fellowship status with the American College of Functional Neurology (ACFN)
- 2012 — Promoted to the position of Assistant Professor of Clinical Neurology with the Carrick Institute for Graduate Studies, where he currently instructs various Functional Neurology courses.
- 2012 — Presented with an award for Recognition of Excellence by the F.R. Carrick Research Institute in 2012.
- 2019 — Promoted to the position of Associate Professor of Clinical Neurology with the Carrick Institute for Graduate Studies, where he currently instructs various Functional Neurology courses.
- 2020 —Enrolled in Masters of Clinical Neuroscience program to be completed in 2021
* The Carrick Institute serves as the primary accredited post graduate program for the American Chiropractic Neurology Board (ACNB). The ACNB is the only Chiropractic specialty board currently certified by NOCA which accredits most medical specialty boards internationally
I would like to take this moment to dedicate this site and Stangel Functional Neurology to Professor Ted Carrick. I’ve been fortunate to attend many educational seminars in my career, and in the process, have been blessed to listen to some of the top medical researchers in the world. I can unequivocally say that Dr. Carrick’s vision, dedication, and brilliance is unsurpassed by even these great doctors. Professor Carrick is, essentially, the father of Functional Neurology, and all of us who’ve trained with him and his institute owe him our gratitude for the great gift he has given us; to be able to serve humankind at the highest level of health care excellence that exists. Dr. Carrick has taken the study and application of neurology and expanded into areas of health care never accomplished prior. He established the Carrick Institute for Graduate Studies in order to train other practitioners to bring his gift to the many people suffering with the health problems in need of this type of care. This unique approach to neurology can be applied to many different kinds of health care problems, many of which are listed in this website. Thank you Professor Carrick for all you have done for me, my family, and humankind.
How Functional Neurology Helps You
Most body functions are governed by the nervous system — and a fully-functioning system is essential in nearly every aspect of your health.